Wednesday, October 22, 2008

And Baby it's Cold Outside

Beyond the staple of complaints about the cold weather this time year, is the re-emergence of the giant box full of one half of at least a dozen mitts, and scarves and tuques that don't match anything. The jumbled box of mismatched items is a reminder of just how disorganized I really am and how disinterested in organizing winter clothes I am, particularly when spring arrives. The front entry way, which is disorganized and too small at the best of times, becomes a mass of boots tossed off quickly, inside-out coats and general chaos. We find ourselves squeezing in as the door opens only a quarter of the way. And while I think that the level of chaos in our house may be unique to a family headed by two disorganized parents, I think that the box (or some form of it) exists in most households, no matter how organized. That's why I thought I would share an innovation introduced to me by my colleague - Cubbies. Just like kindergarten no matter how old your family is. Each member gets one and everything they need goes in it - mitts, coats, hats, boots, everything. And if something gets lost? Not sure. But I like the idea that everyone is responsible for themselves and on their own. Even Julia, who is the worst offender when it comes to stripping off winter attire and leaving it wherever suits her.* When (and if) I get around to implementing it, I'll let you know how it works.

* I know, I know, somewhere someone is saying that a child with no regard for things in their place is exactly what I deserve.

1 comment:

Mamma Schmoo said...

I hate winter for that reason...mitts, hats, scarves, boots to trip over....arggg!!! Have you ever noticed that winter clothes get a weird wet dog smell or is it just me?